SportNinja Import Basics:
There is no requirement to use an import file to add any data. It is possible to manually enter all required data (eg teams, players, etc) into the system without using the Import process.
The value of the import process is to save you time by adding or updating data all at once. This process is particularly helpful when you already have the data available in some existing form.
- There are currently 3 types of Files that can be imported into SportNinja.
- Teams: This file is for adding or updating Team names and their related data. This file is not for importing players or rosters.
- Rosters: This file is for adding or updating Roster/Player info (eg. adding/removing players en masse, updating jersey numbers, player positions, etc).
- Competitions: This file is for adding or updating game Schedules, Locations, Dates, etc. Unless you are only making a few small changes, this Import process will be the most efficient way to make updates.
Confirm the following entities are in the system first! The import process expects these to exist in order import or export data.
If they do not yet exist, they are easy to add on the web (in the following order):
- Competition (eg. your overall season, tournament, etc)
- Locations (with specific facilities)
- Teams (add at least 1 team to start)
Export a copy of the CSV Template! For the data you're looking to update. This will provide you with the applicable columns and field formatting in the file that you can copy/update, as applicable.
- Open the file with MS Excel or GoogleSheets.
- Edit/add/update the spreadsheet with your new data
- Save it as a “.csv” file and re-import.
Formatting: The system expects the data to be in these specific formats on Import.
- Date Format: 2022-07-08
- Timezone Format: America/Vancouver
- Time Format: 10:30:00 PM
- Home/Visitor: Must match exactly with Team Name in the system.
- Location: Must match exactly with Location Name in the system.
- Facility: Must match exactly with Facility Name in the system.
- Game Type: Must be one of the following 8 Game Types: (preliminary, exhibition, regular season, final, consolation final, playoff, quarterfinal, semifinal)
- Hierarchy: Must indicate the existing hierarchy with the “>” sign in between (eg. Conference > Division)
SN ID column: The first column of every import template includes a "SN_ID" column. This is a unique ID field. If you are adding any new rows of data, the system will NOT accept this field as blank. Consider removing this column (unless you are updating existing games/teams/rosters), or you will very likely receive an error message.
Error Messages: If you happen to receive Error Messages upon Import, it is often something you can correct.
- Review the errors and update the file as needed.
- Attempt re-import.
- Repeat as needed.
- However, if you are having trouble and can't move past it, please reach out to your Organization's Administrator, or the SportNinja Support team.
Minimum Required fields: Each Import type has a minimum required fields. If these fields are not included the file will not be accepted.
- Roster Import: Minimum required fields
- First Name
- Last Name
- Position (ie. Forward, Defense, Goaltender, Skater)
- Team Import: Minimum required fields
- Name (ie. Team Name)
- Competition Import: Minimum required fields
- Facility (ie. rink or surface name)
- Game Type (preliminary, exhibition, regular season, final, consolation final, playoff, quarterfinal, semifinal)
- Hierarchy (Season/Division name, or “Conference > Division” if applicable)